Wednesday, March 9, 2016
- 2016 Women's Private Equity Summit Golf Tournament — Nine-hole; best-ball tournament; beginners welcome
- Golf Clinic for Beginners — A "green" social networking event
- Wine Education Session: "Tips From the Vintners" -- Listen and learn; swirl, sniff, sip and socialize
- Coastal Walk — Enjoy a 90-minute walk overlooking the spectacular coast alongside the hotel property
- Focus on Health: Get Fit, Eat Better and Be Proactive (Breast and Ovarian Cancer & Nutrition/Fitness Workshop)
(NOTE: Shuttle bus service is available to Summit attendees staying off-property. To serve as your home away from home, our "Summit Lounge" and The Ritz-Carlton Spa will be available to Summit attendees throughout the event.)
Come join us for a festive wine tasting reception for early arrivals. Be sure to say hello to representatives of the Summit’s Platinum and Gold Sponsors: KPMG; Proskauer; The Abraaj Group; American Securities; Denning & Company; GCM Customized Fund Investment Group; KKR; Landmark Partners; Neuberger Berman; and Valor Equity Partners.
Day One – Thursday, March 10, 2016
Get a jumpstart on networking before the Summit really gets going. Grab a coffee and croissant, take a seat in the ballroom and get to know fellow attendees in a relaxed and casual setting.
(by-invitation-only for pensions, endowments and foundations)
Facilitated by: Denning & Company, GCM Grosvenor, and Proskauer
- Beth Falk, Founder and Managing Director, Women's Private Equity Summit; President, Falk Marques Group LLC
CHANGING EXPECTATIONS? WHAT INSTITUTIONAL INVESTORS ARE SEEKING IN 2016Private equity, venture capital and real estate have all been delivering strong returns. Do institutional investors see this trend continuing in 2016 or coming to an end? Our panel of chief investment officers discuss their allocation strategies and outline what they are expecting of these key alternative areas. Our panelists will also examine how comfortable they are with jumping directly into deals.
- Margo Doyle, Chief Investment Officer, S-Cubed Capital
- Lisa Mazzocco, Chief Investment Officer, University of Southern California
- Alyssa Rieder, CFA, Vice President and Chief Investment Officer, Dignity Health
- Allison K. Thacker, President and Chief Investment Officer, Rice Management Company
GETTING CREATIVE: THE MOVES INVESTORS ARE MAKING TO DO DEALS & GENERATE RETURNS"Stick to Your Knitting." It's a phrase that's often used to remind us to focus on what we do best. But with prices continuing to rise and competition for deals ever increasing, firms are trying new and different things to stay on top. Our group of leading general partners assess the investment environment and discuss how they and their firms are adapting to not only find new opportunities but generate the returns that LPs expect.
- Brittany Bagley, Director, KKR
- Pamela J. Herbst, Managing Director and Head of Direct Investments, AEW Capital Management
- Jenny Lee, Managing Partner, GGV Capital
- Tina St. Pierre, Partner, Landmark Partners
"THIS IS WHAT WE WANT" … NEGOTIATING - DONE RIGHTDeals. Exits. Fundraising. Salaries. Private equity and venture capital professionals, as well as limited partners, are negotiating constantly. But are you giving away too much or being too inflexible? Our panelists have mastered the art of negotiation and discuss their proven approaches to hammering out the details.
- Huda Al Lawati, Partner and Chief Investment Officer, MENA, The Abraaj Group
- Sandra Bosela, Co-Group Head, Managing Director and Global Head of Private Equity, OPTrust Private Markets Group
- Ann Huntress Lamont, Managing Partner, Oak HC/FT and Oak Investment Partners
- Kelly M. Williams, Senior Advisor, GCM Grosvenor
SPOTLIGHT ON PRIVATE EQUITYThe Market in 2016: How GPs and LPs Are Thinking About Deals and Exits
Soaring valuations have led private equity firms to largely focus on one thing in recent years: selling portfolio companies. But, with the stock market losing some of its luster and company valuations starting to fall, there is speculation that firms may get more active on the acquisition front. Will that indeed be the case? Our panel sheds light on today's market, discussing the types of deals that they are pursuing or expect to see, and whether the exit window will remain open.
- Monica J. Shilling, Partner, Proskauer (Facilitator)
- Helen Chiang, Principal, American Securities
- Juli Marley, Partner, Blue Point Capital Partners
- Amanda Parness, Managing Principal, GoldPoint Partners
SPOTLIGHT ON VENTURE CAPITALPassing the Torch: How Will the Departure of Boomers and Arrival of Millennials Transform the Industry?
The venture capital industry is in a state of transition. Many VC pioneers are stepping back and a new generation is stepping up. Millennials go about their work in a decidedly different way from those who came before. We'll take a look at young entrepreneurs' approach to building companies and making deals.
- Michele Cucullu, Director of Private Equity, University of California Regents (Facilitator)
- Annie Kadavy, General Partner, CRV
- Rebecca Kaden, Partner, Maveron
- Swati Mylavarapu, Partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
- Julie Papanek, Principal, Canaan Partners
SPOTLIGHT ON ALTERNATIVE STRATEGIESBeyond the Mainstream: Will Music Royalties, Life Settlements and Other Innovative Approaches Generate Non-Mainstream Returns?
LPs often say that they don't want to see one more middle-market private equity firm. So, what about firms that are trying truly innovative approaches, backing companies involved in such things as litigation settlements, agriculture, specialty finance, digital assets, shipping and peer-to-peer lending? Our panel gives their perspective on this emerging area, the strategies firms are pursuing and how LPs are looking at them.
- Keirsten Lawton, Investment Managing Director, Cambridge Associates (Facilitator)
- Jillian Conlon, Senior Director, Quantitative Analysis and Strategy, BroadRiver Asset Management
- Kjerstin Hatch, Founder and Managing Principal, Lapis Advisers
- Ashley Marks, Partner, Cordillera Investment Partners
- Jennifer Scher, Chief Financial Officer, Round Hill Music
SPOTLIGHT ON GLOBAL INVESTINGWill Non-BRIC Countries Deliver the Returns That the BRICs Have Not?
On paper, Brazil, Russia, India and China were the places to be for private equity and venture capital firms, growing at huge rates and offering multiple investment opportunities. But these countries have not yet generated the returns that GPs or, more importantly, LPs have sought. So many investors are turning to such emerging markets as Africa, Latin America and the Middle East. Will these non-BRIC markets produce the returns desired?
- Tatiana Chkourenko, Investment Manager, IFC Asset Management Company (Facilitator)
- Runa Alam, Chief Executive Officer, DPI
- Hoda Abou-Jamra, Founding Partner, TVM Capital Healthcare Partners
- Baily Kempner, Principal, The Abraaj Group
- Noor Sweid, Managing Partner, Leap Ventures
SPOTLIGHT ON REAL ESTATEChallenging Environment Ahead: How Will It Impact Investing and Expectations?
The post-recession years have been good ones for real estate investors. Interest rates have remained low, the economy has shown signs of strength and exits have abounded. But 2016 brings with it greater uncertainty, with interest rates going up and the global economy showing signs of stress. Our panel looks at what lies ahead for the sector, especially given the value of purchases over the past few years.
- Michelle L. Creed, Director, Landmark Partners (Facilitator)
- Linda Assante, Managing Partner, Jasper Ridge Partners
- Laura Hill, Portfolio Manager - Alternative Investments, Advocate Healthcare
- Margaret McKnight, Co-Chief Investment Officer and Managing Director, Metropolitan Real Estate
SPOTLIGHT ON THE FIRMStarting a Firm: What It Takes
It is the dream of many in private equity and venture capital: Leave one's firm and create a new one. But what does it take to move from dream to reality and more importantly get the buy in from limited partners? This special session gives insight on this key issue.
- Maria Walker, Partner, KPMG (Facilitator)
- Jennifer Fonstad, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Aspect Ventures
- Alcina L. Goosby, Special Investment Officer, Private Equity, New York State Common Retirement Fund
- Lori Whelan, Chief Operating Partner, Silversmith Capital Partners
- Patricia Miller Zollar, Managing Director, Neuberger Berman
SPOTLIGHT ON PRIVATE EQUITYIt Wasn't Just the Price: Why We Went With the PE Firm That We Did
Private equity firms are in the business of acquiring companies. Yet, in recent years, increased competition and high prices have made this job increasingly difficult. Finding ways to win over company founders and CEOs has become a crucial part of the business. In this special session, you'll hear firsthand from a group of CEOs who will discuss their company's private equity transaction and why they made the decision they did.
- Kathy Wanner, Retired Partner, Adams Street Partners (Facilitator)
- Barbara Beck, Chief Executive Officer, Learning Care Group
- Dina Dwyer-Owens, Co-Chair, The Dwyer Group
- Lilli Gordon, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, First Aid Beauty
SPOTLIGHT ON VENTURE CAPITALThe Late-Stage Game: What Lies Ahead?
Over the past several years, venture capital firms, corporations, mutual fund companies and hedge funds have poured hundreds of millions of dollars into promising startups at incredible valuations. Companies found themselves with billion-dollar valuations, plenty of cash in the bank and little reason to think about either an IPO or a trade sale. What lies ahead for these companies and investors as the stock market continues its ebb and flow? Will these sizable rounds be proven to be a good thing? And what about the next wave of promising startups – will they find late-stage capital available or will they need to be thinking more quickly about a liquidity event?
- Barbara Piette, Managing Principal, Knightsbridge Advisers (Facilitator)
- Kirsten Morin, Senior Investment Manager, Global Venture Capital, Aberdeen Asset Management
- Camille Samuels, Partner, Venrock
- Laela Sturdy, General Partner, Google Capital
SPOTLIGHT ON ALTERNATIVE STRATEGIESDiving Into Debt: Where Are Investors Seeking Opportunities?
Timing is everything but it is especially important for those targeting the debt market. With interest rates apparently going up and uncertainty in other parts of the world, investors will face some key questions. Our panel considers whether the best place is distress, emerging markets, real estate or perhaps just simply making loans.
- Elizabeth F. Weindruch, Director, Babson Capital Management (Facilitator)
- Carolyn Glick, Director, Tennenbaum Capital Partners
- Kirsten Hagen, Managing Director, Private Credit Group, Goldman Sachs
- Susan Kasser, Managing Director, Neuberger Berman
SPOTLIGHT ON GLOBAL INVESTINGUncertainty in China: What Does It Mean for Investors?
"Huge market." "Growth." "Sizable potential." Those are the words used countless times over the last 10 to 15 years by venture capitalists, private equity professionals — and even limited partners — to describe their reasons for investing in China. How do they look at the country now – especially with growth slowing? Is China still a huge opportunity or is it time to focus on new ways to invest in the country, such as distress? Our expert panel examines this key question.
- Valerie Leung, Director, Investor Relations and Fund Monitoring, Asia Alternatives Management (Facilitator)
- Brooke Jones, Director of Investments, Carnegie Corporation of New York
- Michelle Leung, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Xingtai Capital Management
- Judith J. Li, Partner, Lilly Asia Ventures
SPOTLIGHT ON REAL ESTATEThe New LP-GP Relationship: Making It Work
Institutional investors are getting more active. On the one hand, they are seeking opportunities beyond investing only in funds, either through co-investment opportunities or even direct deals. At the same time, they are more closely scrutinizing their GPs over their strategies and fees. As a result, the LP-GP dynamic is undergoing a makeover. In this session, GPs and LPs discuss this dynamic and the steps they are taking to be successful.
- Tamara Larsen, Head of Private Markets Strategies, Alternatives, Russell Investments (Facilitator)
- Samantha Davidson, Managing Director, Goldman Sachs & Co.
- Stephanie Gutleber, Senior Vice President, Portfolio Advisors
- Jennifer L. Young, Principal, The Townsend Group
SPOTLIGHT ON THE FIRMTackling the Industry's Biggest Challenge: Keeping LPs Happy
It wasn't that long ago that firms focused on fundraising every three years or so. But, today firms are seemingly never out of the market, keeping current and prospective LPs informed on their activities and results. It has ratcheted up the pressure on IR professionals and their teams. Our panel dives into this evolving dynamic.
- Jackie Hoffman, Vice President/Investment Partner, Siemens Financial Services (Facilitator)
- Lynn Baranski, Managing Director and Global Chief Investment Officer, BlackRock Private Equity Partners
- Leslie Wolff Golden, Managing Director and Head of Investor Relations, Ridgewood Energy
- Amy S. Harsch, Director of Investor Relationships, American Securities
- Valerie A. Ruddick, Managing Director, Pathway Capital
WORKSHOP ITerms and Conditions 2016
- Sarah Cherry, Partner, Proskauer (Facilitator)
- Dina Ciarimboli, General Counsel, Third Rock Ventures
- Gretchen Robinson, Vice President, Investor Relations, Genstar Capital
- Julia Winterson, Director of Investments, Dignity Health
- Courtney Villalta, Senior Investment Manager, Private Markets, Teacher Retirement System of Texas
WORKSHOP IIFull Disclosure: How LPs and GPs Should Deal With the Push for Transparency
- Lindsay Farnsworth, Partner, KPMG (Facilitator)
- Nicole Degnan, Managing Director, Blackstone Group
- Marianne Scott Dwight, General Counsel, Texas Treasury Safekeeping Trust Company
- Karen King, Managing Director and Chief Legal Officer, Silver Lake
WORKSHOP IIIIdentifying Innovative Pools of Capital and Expediting Your Fundraising
- Gina Peyton, Managing Director, Denning & Company (Facilitator)
- Martha Elbert, Senior Associate, GF Private Equity Group
- Carrie Green, CFA, Senior Portfolio Manager, Private Equity, Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System
- Emily Melchior, Principal, Investor Relations, Searchlight Capital Partners
- Gabrielle Zadra, Senior Managing Director, Cliffwater
What Will the Future Look Like? These fast-paced talks, inspired by the TED-talk format, offer strikingly original ideas about the future of our world. We think you'll find our presenters' insights to be challenging, maybe inspirational, and, most definitely, thought-provoking.
- Featured Speaker: Stephanie Tilenius, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Vida
- Featured Speaker: Mina Radhakrishnan, Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Redpoint Ventures
- Featured Speaker: Rudina Seseri, Founder and Managing Partner, Glasswing Ventures
- Featured Speaker: Dr. Helen Riess, Co-Founder, Chief Scientific Officer and Chairman, Empathetics, Inc.; Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School; and Director of the Empathy and Relational Science Program, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Denise L Nappier, Treasurer, State of Connecticut
- Interlocutor: JoAnn Price, Co-Founder and Partner, Fairview Capital
Day Two – Friday, March 11, 2016
- Yoga to Start the Day
- Core Stretch
- Guided Meditation
(NOTE: Early morning shuttle bus service is available to Summit attendees staying off-property to facilitate participation in Friday morning's Wellness Activities. To serve as your home away from home, our "Summit Lounge" and The Ritz-Carlton Spa will be available to Summit attendees throughout the event.)
GETTING (MORE OF) WHAT YOU WANT: THE CHALLENGES AND SURPRISING OPPORTUNITIES WHEN WOMEN NEGOTIATE
- Margaret A. Neale, Adams Distinguished Professor of Management, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
SPOTLIGHT ON PRIVATE EQUITY
- Tara Blackburn, Managing Director, Hamilton Lane
- Joanna Rupp, CFA, Assistant Vice President and Managing Director of Private Equity, Office of Investments, University of Chicago
SPOTLIGHT ON VENTURE CAPITAL
- Beezer Clarkson, Managing Director, Sapphire Ventures
- Joelle Kayden, Managing Member, Accolade Partners
SPOTLIGHT ON REAL ESTATE
- Carrie DeWees, Associate Director, Allstate Investments
- Other to be announced
SPOTLIGHT ON EMERGING MARKETS
- Maureen Downey, Principal, Pantheon Ventures
- Other to be announced
SPOTLIGHT ON THE FIRMOh, Those Regulatory Guidelines! What Your Firm Should Be Focused On
What exactly is the SEC looking for when it inspects a private equity firm? Are you clear about the impact AIFMD may have on your European fundraising? Have you altered how you are handling fees? Our panel shares its knowledge on these important questions.
- Angela Ty, Alternatives Investments Audit Manager Director, KPMG (Facilitator)
- Niamh Curry, Partner, Proskauer
- Alpa Patel, Branch Chief, Private Funds Branch, Division of Investment Management, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- Carolina Alvarez Picazo, Chief Compliance and Tax Officer, Spectrum Equity
- Sarah Rogers, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Compliance Officer, Glynn Capital Management
SPOTLIGHT ON PHILANTHROPYPrivate Equity Interests: A Smarter Way to Fund Philanthropy
Whether at their own firms or their portfolio companies, private equity professionals embrace efficiency in all its forms. Increasingly, this habit is carrying over to their charitable giving. Both the donor and recipient public charity can derive significant tax efficiencies from the contribution of private equity interests that are often held by PE professionals - and, more generally, any non-publicly traded assets. Giving these types of assets instead of cash can significantly increase the size and impact of a charitable gift. This panel will discuss this growing trend of funding philanthropy with private equity assets and how to become a smarter philanthropist.
- Karla D'Alleva Valas, Managing Director, Complex Assets Group, Fidelity Charitable (Facilitator)
- Julie Allegro, Founder and General Partner, Fyrfly Venture Partners
- Adrienne M. Penta, Senior Vice President, Private Banking, Center for Women & Wealth, Brown Brothers Harriman
- Carine Schneider, President, Equity Solutions, NASDAQ Private Market
SHOPPING FOR DEALS … AN INTERVIEW WITH CARRIE WHEELERTPG Partner Carrie Wheeler helped orchestrate one of the largest sales in the private equity industry in 2015, with the sale of Petco Animal Supplies for $4.6 billion. Carrie is responsible for TPG's investments in the retail and consumer areas, and is immersed in one of the most watched and most volatile sectors for investors. Carrie sits down with KPMG Managing Partner Debbie Messemer to offer her outlook for large cap private equity for the coming year, and the opportunities and challenges that investors may face.
- Carrie A. Wheeler, Partner, TPG Capital
- Interviewer: Deborah Messemer, Managing Partner, KPMG
THE GLOBAL LP PERSPECTIVEIn this always-fascinating session, Jill Kitazaki sits down with a global panel of LPs to discuss their views on private equity and venture capital, and the road ahead in 2016. They'll break down the types of funds they are looking to invest in and those that they are shying away from.
- Alison Nankivell, Vice President, Funds and Co-investments, BDC Capital
- Anita Ng, Managing Director, Cambridge Associates
- Sasha van de Water, Managing Partner, Keyhaven Capital Partners
- Other to be announced
* Program subject to change
Join our mailing list for up-to-date information and visit this site again for continuous updates.